Do you have big plans for Memorial Day? Don’t let those plans derail you from your health and fitness goals. I am here to help! Check out these recipes you can bring along to your get togethers or make at home if you have guests coming.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels (frozen is better than canned and fresh is best!)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup peeled, diced jicama
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper, or to taste (spicy!)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 6 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed or lettuce wraps
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt, or to taste
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together corn, red onion, jicama, red bell pepper, and cilantro. Stir in lime juice and zest.
- In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, and salt.
- Brush each fillet with olive oil, and sprinkle with spices to taste.
- Arrange fillets on grill grate, and cook for 3 minutes per side.
- For each taco, top two corn tortillas or lettuce wraps with fish, greek yogurt, and corn salsa.
21 Day Fix Containers: Corn tortillas Red, Yellow, 1/2 Green OR Lettuce Wraps Red, 1/2 Yellow, Green
Honey Chicken and Veggie Kabobs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers (various colors), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb button mushrooms, optional
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, optional
- 1 zucchini, sliced, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking.
- Place the chicken, garlic and onions in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight (best!).
- Preheat the grill for high heat. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently.