Do you have big plans for Memorial Day? Don’t let those plans derail you from your health and fitness goals. I am here to help! Check out these recipes you can bring along to your get togethers or make at home if you have guests coming.
Vegan Black Bean & Quinoa Burger
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot(R))
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot pepper sauce, and egg into the black beans using your hands.
- Form the black bean mixture into 5 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels (frozen is better than canned and fresh is best!)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup peeled, diced jicama
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper, or to taste (spicy!)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 6 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed or lettuce wraps
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt, or to taste
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together corn, red onion, jicama, red bell pepper, and cilantro. Stir in lime juice and zest.
- In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, and salt.
- Brush each fillet with olive oil, and sprinkle with spices to taste.
- Arrange fillets on grill grate, and cook for 3 minutes per side.
- For each taco, top two corn tortillas or lettuce wraps with fish, greek yogurt, and corn salsa.
21 Day Fix Containers: Corn tortillas Red, Yellow, 1/2 Green OR Lettuce Wraps Red, 1/2 Yellow, Green
Honey Chicken and Veggie Kabobs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers (various colors), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb button mushrooms, optional
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, optional
- 1 zucchini, sliced, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking.
- Place the chicken, garlic and onions in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight (best!).
- Preheat the grill for high heat. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently.
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic on top of the chicken. Pour the diced tomatoes and chicken stock over the top. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. Use a fork to shred the chicken before serving. Garnish with cilantro and avocado.