Do you have big plans for Memorial Day? Don’t let those plans derail you from your health and fitness goals. I am here to help! Check out these recipes you can bring along to your get togethers or make at home if you have guests coming.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green
- chile peppers (such as RO*TEL)
- 2 T 21 Day Fix Southwest Seasoning
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir quinoa and onion in the hot oil until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapeno pepper to quinoa mixture and cook until garlic is fragrant and slightly softened, 1 or 2 more minutes.
- Mix undrained can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, seasoning mix, and chicken broth into quinoa mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro.
Vegan Black Bean & Quinoa Burger
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot(R))
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot pepper sauce, and egg into the black beans using your hands.
- Form the black bean mixture into 5 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels (frozen is better than canned and fresh is best!)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup peeled, diced jicama
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper, or to taste (spicy!)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 6 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed or lettuce wraps
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt, or to taste
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together corn, red onion, jicama, red bell pepper, and cilantro. Stir in lime juice and zest.
- In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, and salt.
- Brush each fillet with olive oil, and sprinkle with spices to taste.
- Arrange fillets on grill grate, and cook for 3 minutes per side.
- For each taco, top two corn tortillas or lettuce wraps with fish, greek yogurt, and corn salsa.
21 Day Fix Containers: Corn tortillas Red, Yellow, 1/2 Green OR Lettuce Wraps Red, 1/2 Yellow, Green
Honey Chicken and Veggie Kabobs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers (various colors), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb button mushrooms, optional
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, optional
- 1 zucchini, sliced, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking.
- Place the chicken, garlic and onions in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight (best!).
- Preheat the grill for high heat. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently.