My family loves Italian Wedding Soup with it’s little meatballs and Parmesan cheese! Now that I’m cooking healthier and clean I modified my old recipe with this one!
Here are the main differences in the the soup. I replace breadcrumbs with oatmeal and the pasta with quinoa.
You can bake the meatballs and add them to the soup, but I have also boiled them right in the broth with carrots and celery.
Lastly, as far as salt goes I have been using pink Himalayan salt in all of my cooking. I use Mineralize from Beachbody as seen below.
Italian Turkey Meatball Soup with Quinoa
- 20oz ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon pink himalayan salt or Mineralize
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder or 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil and/or oregano
- 2 tablespoons all-natural tomato sauce
- 32oz chicken broth
- 32 oz water
- 2 cups chopped spinach or kale
- 1-2 carrots, diced, optional
- 1 celery stalk, diced, optional
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- grated Parmesan cheese for topping
Pour broth into a soup pot over high heat. Gently combine turkey, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, oatmeal, tomato sauce, and basil in bowl. When broth is boiling, drop in meatballs. Stir in optional carrots and celery, lemon zest and quinoa. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook at a slow boil for 20 – 30 minutes or until quinoa and veggies are tender, stirring frequently. Serve sprinkled with cheese, optional but tasty!