This light but nutrient-rich salad is a great easy-to-make side. It has a surprise ingredient that makes it really delish!
Total Time: 24 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 9 min.
Yield: 3 servings, about ¾ cup each
1 cup water
⅔ cup dry whole wheat couscous
4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or ½ cup quartered tomatoes)
8 oz sliced mushrooms
6 fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
Sea salt (to taste; optional)
Cracked black pepper (to taste; optional)
1. Bring water to boil in a large pot over high heat.
2. Add couscous. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 3 minutes, or until the couscous is fluffy and water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
3. Combine couscous, 3 tsp. oil, and lemon juice in a medium serving bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add mushrooms; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms release liquid. Remove from heat.
6. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, mint, and parsley to couscous; toss gently to blend.
7. Season with salt and pepper if desired.